Discovery Point looks forward to welcoming you. The site has made a concerted effort to ensure our facilities and displays are accessible to all – this good practice has been recognised by the Adapt Trust (physical) and the Intact Trust (intellectual).
Please do not hesitate to contact us for further information on accessibility.
- Council-owned pay and display car park adjacent to Discovery Point. Parking is free if you display your blue badge.
- There is a level entrance to Discovery Point, and all the museum galleries are on the ground floor.
- In the museum galleries, light levels vary.
- There are a number of audio-visual displays.
- Temperature varies as you move between the museum galleries and the ship, and some spaces can be quite cold. You may want to bring an extra layer of clothing to put on in this area.
- A lift to the first-floor offices, conference rooms and Dome experience is available.
- RRS Discovery is a historic ship, and the nature of her construction means that full wheelchairs and buggy access are impossible. There is a ramp that can be placed at the top of the gangway that provides access to the main deck.
- Access to the Bridge or the lower decks is by narrow stairs. Once below decks, there are many changes in level lighting and more stairs.
- In the Odyssey gallery, there is a film show of a tour of the ship above and below decks. This film has both an audio commentary and written subtitles on the screen.
- Wheelchairs are available for loan at no charge.
Other services, resources and facilities
- There is a variety of seating throughout the museum.
- Adapted toilets are available.
- There are induction loops fitted to the audio displays.
- Within the exhibition galleries, light levels can vary.
- Assistance dogs are admitted.
- Concession rates are available.
- Carers are admitted free.
- If you need assistance during your visit, staff members will be able to help you. Front-of-house teams wear grey t-shirts and orange lanyards.
- We have emergency evacuation procedures for disabled visitors.
- Members of our Education team are trained in basic Makaton.
You can find more information and images here.